South Carolina Car Accident Lawyer
Even when you know that car accidents continue to be a major problem in the US, you might not realize the extent of the dangers until you review some statistics. According to the South Carolina Department of Public Safety Traffic Collision Fact Book, there are almost 142,000 total crashes in the state every year. More than 1,000 people are killed and close to 59,000 victims are injured in these incidents, many of which are preventable and only occur because of motorist negligence.
State law provides you with legal remedies as the victim of a vehicle accident, but the legal process can be overwhelming. You put your rights at risk unless you have skilled legal counsel on your side, so please contact the Gus Anastopoulo Law Firm to learn how we can help. You can set up a no-cost case evaluation with a South Carolina car accident lawyer who can explain the details, but an overview of the relevant concepts may be informative.
Liability in Auto Collisions
Every vehicle crash involves different causes and contributing factors, but these incidents are usually the result of driver carelessness. In the practice of law, the theory of liability is termed negligence. To recover monetary damages, you need to prove that the incident was a direct result of the at-fault motorist’s failure to exercise reasonable care when driving. Some examples of driver negligence may help you understand the concept, as many vehicle crashes are caused by:
- Speeding in excess of the posted limit or driving too fast for conditions;
- Drunk or drugged driving;
- Failure to yield right of way;
- Running red lights or stop signs;
- Ignoring signals, lane markings, and other traffic controls; and
- Distracted driving, such as texting, talking on the phone, eating, and other risky activities.
Legal Help with Your Claim
State law requires motorists to carry liability insurance, so the first step toward recovering compensation is filing a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurer. If the insurance company refuses to pay fair monetary damages, it will be necessary to file a lawsuit. In addition, there may be opportunities for mediation or alternative dispute resolution along the way.
Our South Carolina car accident attorneys will advocate on your behalf throughout the process to ensure you receive reasonable compensation for medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses. The Gus Anastopoulo Law Firm supports your needs by:
- Conducting an investigation and gathering evidence;
- Preparing claims forms and supporting documentation;
- Negotiating with the insurance company;
- Completing paperwork to initiate litigation;
- Representing you during mediation;
- Going through documentary discovery and depositions; and
- Fighting for your rights at trial.
Consult with a South Carolina Car Accident Lawyer Right Away
If you were hurt or lost a loved one in an auto collision, it is essential to retain an experienced attorney right away. Our team at the Gus Anastopoulo Law Firm is committed to helping victims navigate the complex legal process, so please call 843-310-5555 or via our website to schedule your free consultation at our Charleston office.